Wednesday 25 February 2009

Indiecision

Marina and the Diamonds is great. I first heard 'Obsessions' a few weeks back and thought 'awesome'. Then 'Mowgli's Road' turned up in my inbox and I thought the same thought again, with a vengeance. The other two tracks on her myspace are equally good. Turns out she's signed to the same label as Passion Pit, so that might give you an idea of the popular, sing-along quality of her music - although she is much less electronic and can sing a whole lot better. I'm sure she'll be huge. Check out electrorash for a bit more info... and for tuneage.

But as for who I think should be huge: Malajube! I've posted about them before, but suddenly realised just now (during a Marina and the Diamonds inspired indie-listening phase) that my personal favourite of theirs, 'Dragon de Glace', has yet to grace my page. A terrible oversight. The song starts beautifully, with a simple but gorgeous bit of acoustic guitar work, and then the breathy french vocals come in, rubbing the beauty of their language in my english face. The build at the end is also incredible, and well worth waiting for.

I got Fanfarlo's album recently, and while it's not particularly outstanding, it is pretty solid all the way through. 'Fire Escape' (below) and 'I'm A Pilot' are the most attention grabbing tracks. They've got a pretty cheerful sound, kept from overt popishness by occasional trumpet solos, and by a slightly melanchonic singer (in terms of sound, not necessarily lyrics). Employing a similar kind of upbeat, head-nodding drum pattern is the Pains of Being Pure at Heart song 'A Teenager in Love'. In fact, both bands sound vaguely similar, although Pains are a bit more melodic and acoustic in general.

In fact, they're not that similar when you get right down to it. Because if you're getting down to it, why would you be mentally comparing bands?

Aha, aha...

Finishing up are the Rogues, already remixed by Feed Me - which has pretty much sold them to me - who are probably the most obviously 'indie'. 'Not So Pretty' is almost impossible not to sing along to, and has a nice little riffy guitar bit and some solid, danceable drumming.

My next post will probably be a bit more electro and dubsteppy (I don't know if anyone's got the Primecuts remix of 'Hit That Gash', but it's huge), but I was feeling in a pretty indie/alternative mood after listening to those new Phoenix and Doves singles for an entire day - can't wait for the respective albums. Anyway, enjoy. Four decent songs from four decent bands.

Malajube - Dragon de Glace Buy
Fanfarlo - Fire Escape Buy
The Pains Of Being Pure at Heart - A Teenager in Love Buy
Rogues - Not So Pretty Buy


Just realised my 'Feed Me' post got pulled. Twice I think. Maybe third time lucky?

Rogues - Not So Pretty (Feed Me Remix) Buy

Speaking of posts being pulled, my 'Power to The People' post was also removed. Sigh. Another casualty with that cruel mistress that is the Blogger hegemony. Of the tracks that were on there, Mansion - 'Body' and the Jimmy2sox remix of 'We Are The People' are the ones worth looking up.

No comments: