Monday 23 February 2009

The Dance Off (pt. 1)

Sometimes, albeit it very rarely, I sit down and I listen to some banging electro and I think: "This banging electro that I've sat down to listen to isn't really doing it for me". And by that I don't mean 'doing it for me' in any kind of sexual sense, because that would sound a bit gay and weird. In fact, I'd be pretty surprised if anyone thought that was what I meant.

So that's two sentences wasted.

Any way, when I have these particular moments of lost faith, I find myself turning to another genre. Which is usually garage. Because to be honest, old school garage has its moments. And when it has them, it has them big time. 'Love Shy' is quite possibly one of my favourite tunes of all time - not, obviously, because it is some kind of fantastic original musical accomplishment, but because it just sounds happy. It sounds like the producer just bounced up and down on his keyboard when he made it. It sounds like they were on E, and somehow injected that E into the actual song. Quite probably, most people won't have the emotional attachment I have to garage. And for that reason, I've stuck Kristine Blond's old classic next to Mr Miyagi's more recent dance remix of 'Up In The Blue', which is also awesome, and is less sickeningly commercial and pop. But I know which one would make me dance if I heard it at a funeral.

Neither, because that would be sick... But 'Love Shy' would make me want to dance.

Old Mr Dodger and Craig David were once the very essence and lifeblood of the garage scene, bringing it to the mainstream with more success than almost anyone else. 'Woman Trouble' is my particular favourite of their many collaborations, mostly because 'Rewind' is so overplayed, and I reckon it trumps the Gooseflesh remix of 'Taken Away' for sheer euphoric danceability any day of the week. Although the Gooseflesh remix is definitely a pretty handy tune, and one of my recent favourites - I'm sorry to say I ignored it for a few weeks after I first got it, alas. But I am now repenting by playing it about 5 times in the last half hour.

You can make your own minds up about which you prefer - but I know which songs will stick with me for a good few years to come.


(The garage songs, in case I haven't been clear).


Kristine Blond - Love Shy Buy
Jake OH - Up In The Blue (Mr Miyagi Remix) Buy
Artful Dodger feat. Craig David - Woman Trouble Buy
Digitalism - Taken Away (Gooseflesh Remix) Myspace* awesome

*Apologies if mediafire is being a bit funny, they've definitely got some server issues at the moment.

No comments: