Sunday 1 March 2009

No Joke

I've posted about Joker before on this blog, although that post is now lost to the annals of history, and I have ignored him since. However, thanks in chief to the ever-reliable Pelski, he now makes a dramatic return. 'Stuck in the System' pretty much defines epicness for me. It's huge - the snare is as crisp and punchy as you could want, and the bass is so grimy and modulating it scares me. On top of it all, Joker throws on some classic strings, horns and weird synthy sci-fi bits and pieces which take the track to another level. A level of incredibleness.

Who needs vocals?

I realise that sounds like me being my usual hyperbolic self, but it's definitely an essential tune for anyone who likes dubstep, hip-hop, or electro. And speaking of electro, I was browsing Myspace music the other day and came across a Swedish/Japanese electro kid called Fujasaki. Most of the tunes on his myspace are fairly good, but his Cruise Control verison of 'What I Look Like' particularly caught my attention. Now, I'll confess that I have no idea what the phrase cruise control has to do with anything, but it definitely means good things. The tune has a pretty classic Bag Raiders' type vibe, using the same kind of piano sounds and biting synths, with a few good tempo changes and builds. I've had it on repeat for at least three days. So it must be quite good.

During the same myspace trawl, I came across DJ Falcon, whom i confess I should probably already have heard of. But whatever, I got there in the end. Anyone who likes standard house (I'm thinking Armand Van Helden, Eric Prydz, maybe Louis La Roche) will probably like his take on the classic 'So Much Love To Give' (it doesn't sound all that much different at all really), which features Daft Punk's Bangalter. It gets a little repetitive, quite possibly a lot repetitive in some peoples eyes, but its pretty standard rave material: piano refrains, heavily reverbed breakdown sections, long bass notes and a crotch-thrusting drumbeat. Worth a listen for anyone who calls themself a 'clubber', or who secretly thinks they might be one.

Finally, I came across 'Emergency Broadcast System', who are intesely difficult to google but are worth the effort of looking up if you're into atmospheric, dark intensity followed by pacey beats. EBS are Rob Dougan-ish, but with a less classical, more straightforward electronic vibe. They're essentially what he would be if he was a Romanian vampire who enjoyed trips to the beach. At night. Good soundtrack stuff, with a slightly hallucinogenic feel.

Joker - Stuck In The System Buy
Fujasaki - What I Look Like (Cruise Control version) Buy Website
DJ Falcon - So Much Love To Give (Feat. Bangalter) Myspace
Emergency Broadcast System - Wolfdrone Buy

No comments: