Monday 23 February 2009

The Dance Off (pt. 2)

So, in the last post I was pitting classic garage against more recent electro bangers in a kind of disco fight to the death, and in this post I'm... doing exactly the same. Which doesn't say much for my powers of imagination.

Good old Lonyo, good old Sunship. (I should say, I've no idea if it's actually a Sunship mix of the song, or if he produced it, or if he had anything to do with it at all, but I might as well put his name to it because he's quite possibly one of the hardest-working and most-consistent garage DJ's ever. And he deserves the love of the people. In particular the garage girls.) This piece of old school awesomeness is one of my favourite summer tracks, and it's not sexist: it's appreciative. Probably. Either way, it is a classic.

As is the SFA song 'Flowers', which is why I refuse to post it. There can't be anyone from my generation who hasn't heard that song. But one of their less known tracks is '8 Days A Week', and it follows pretty much the same brilliant formula. Which is a good thing in my book.

Competing with the two classics (I might be stretching the applicability of that word a bit, excuse the hyperbole) I have already mentioned, are two recent releases that have caught my attention. Neo Tokyo's 'Because You Left' and the Culture Prophet remix of 'RAR'. The Neo Tokyo track sounds a bit like an old Gameboy theme song which has mated with a funky vocal sample it met on the internet - a sound which I actually quite like. It's worth a listen.

As for the Culture Prophet remix... it starts epic and just gets more so. Then it gets chilled out. Then it gets epic again. It's almost as if the song is so awesome they had to give you breathing spaces in the middle of it so you can keep dancing. (I've got slightly hyperbolic again there, but it is a cool song.)

Love it.

On a side note - Apparently garage music was influenced by that hero of mine: Todd Edwards. Which means I don't have to feel like a chav for listening to it. Because Todd Edwards is an awesome and respected house DJ (despite all his songs sounding strangely similar), and if you don't believe me you can look below.

Lonyo - Garage Girls (Sunship Mix) Buy
Neo Tokyo - Because You Left Myspace
Sweet Female Attitude - 8 Days A Week Buy I apologize for the quality on this one, it's difficult to get hold of a decent version.
Romulus & Remus - RAR (Culture Prophet Remix) Myspace


Bassline Bonus (recommended)
Artful Dodger - One More Chance Myspace

Todd Edwards Bonus
Appaloosa - The Day (We Fell In Love)(Todd Edwards Liturgical Mix) Buy

No comments: