Friday 30 January 2009

Ready For The Weekend

Ou Est Le Swimming Pool are going to be big in 2009. Or so I believe. 'Dance The Way I Feel' (which I think is their first single?) is a great song - pretty simple, but still powerful and catchy. 'Jackson's Last Stand' (I apologise for the quality of the sample by the way) is equally good, although it's garnered less attention. Both songs follow pretty much the same formula: deep, rumbling, distorted bass; well-pitched, epic choruses and stacatto synth melodies. But it's a good formula. Their stuff is easy to sing along to (if you're into that kind of thing), and easy to nod your head to.

But not to nod off to.

I'm pretty sure I've posted about WPAHP, buy Blogger obviously got their knickers in a twist about it. Nevertheless, I will persevere and try again. WPAHP don't seem to be on wikipedia, so obviously I know nothing about him(?) except what appears on his myspace. However, I do know that his(?) brand of trance/dance is exactly what I need whenever I get bored of listening to that new Calvin Harris track. He's(?) done all kinds of incredible remixes - most noticeably of Coldplay, Radiohead and Daft Punk, but his own stuff is just as emphatically good. The track I've linked isn't necessarily typical, it's a bit more laid-back... but it is still particularly euphoric (I'm a bit hung up on that word atm) and brilliant. All the tunes I have from WPAHP on my itunes are 4 or 5 stars, so I'm basically in love. Anyone who's interested should definitely check out the 'Wings of Love' mix on his myspace (see link below).

I've wanted to post a CFCF track for a while now, ever since I got their remix of 'D.A.N.C.E' which stood out for me as the most original (although not necessarily the best). CFCF are another group (or person) that I know nothing about, other than that I like their music. But for the purposes of this blog the music is all that matters. 'Crystal Mines', below, is kind of Crystal Castles, although only in the vaguest sense of the comparison. In fact, it's not anything like Crystal Castles really - other than the fact that 'Crystal' is in the title of both. Which is probably why I made the comparison. I digress. The track is pretty awesome: not in a banger sense, but in a robot-movie-sense (think Bladerunner). Worth a listen, as is most of their stuff.

Finally, I've left a little something for the ravers. Santiago & Bushido's new effort reminds me a little bit of Style of Eye, although a lot fiercer and more powerful, if less hypnotic. It's kind of dubsteppy-electro (I think I probably describe far too many songs like that) with a nice bass kick and a great bit of distorted-vocoder sounding action over the top.

Ou Est Le Swimming Pool - Jackson's Last Stand Myspace
We Plants Are Happy Plants - Sailing In A Dream Boat Myspace
CFCF - Crystal Mines Buy
Santiago & Bushido - Second Nature (Original Mix) Buy

No comments: