Monday 19 January 2009

Not Mundane

Considering the Black Ghosts had one of the biggest tunes of '08 with 'Anyway You Chose To Give It', I definitely haven't given them enough attention. Recently, I've been flicking through a few of their tracks and 'Some Way Through This' caught my attention - mainly because of the dubsteppy bassline, mixed cleverly with (slightly) Thom-Yorke-esque vocals, and some nice operatic strings. It's definitely one of those songs that you have to play loud to really appreciate. But I did play it loud. And I really appreciate it. Black Ghosts rule.

Moving on ... I was listening to Chris Lake's remix of 'Oh My God' the other day and I was struck my how disgustingly brilliant he is as a producer. I almost (well, actually did) wet myself when I found out that he and the ever-impressive and multi-talented Deadmau5 had teamed up on a couple of tracks. Below are the results. The 'Faxing Berlin' tune is pretty standard trance, something to listen to when you're too drunk for lyrics. But still a banger. 'I Thought Inside Out' - which is the actual co-production - is immense. The drop happens exactly on 2 minutes and it's fucking HUGE. You can feel the bass punching its way through your guts until it smacks you in the face. Another one that has to be played loud.

Moving on (again), Treasure Fingers blesses an already blessed Romanthony track with his own considerable talents. The mix uses the kind of funky clap rhythm that you usually only get at a retro breakdance contest, and brings the bass and bongos to match it. It's pretty chilled, but pretty cool at the same time.

Last of all, but definitely not least, is Style of Eye's 'The Prophet'. I've only recently become aware of the Eye, courtesy of Pelski, but I intend to make up for lost time. It's the kind of music that makes you feel like you must be on drugs, or having a bad panic attack - in the best kind of way possible. I would label it minimalist techno but I think that would put most people off... to be honest, I listened to the track first time and got really annoyed because nothing seemed to happen. It was definitely too minimal. Then I listened to it again and I have literally ended up with it on repeat. It's like magic. 'Girls' is just as good, and slightly less random. I highly reccomend checking both songs out. They'll grow on you, like some kind of glowing, fantastical musical cancer.

The Black Ghosts - Some Way Through This Buy
Deadmau5 - Faxing Berlin (Chris Lake Remix) Buy
Chris Lake and Deadmau5 - I Thought Inside Out Buy
Romanthony - Curious (Treasure Fingers Remix) Buy
Style of Eye - The Prophet (Original Mix) Buy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Some way through this remix.

Banger.