Saturday 8 November 2008

I mentioned TEPR's remix of Yelle's 'Ce Jeu' in my last post. And having spent all day listening to while supposed to be doing work, I thought it might provide a nice distraction for other people. Also, it doesn't seem to be on hype machine - which either means this post is going to be removed by blogger in a matter of seconds, or that It's an exceedingly lucky spot on my part. Anyway, the remix is surprisingly house, rather than straightforward raw electro. As you might expect, or even hope for. But I'm always open to a bit of classic dance and TEPR has nailed the good old piano chord progression, the breakdown into fuzzy base and the ever-popular weird distortion sound that really makes a good club track.

Slightly less consistently incredible is the Bang Gang Deejays remix of 'Drugs In My Body'. Their use of the vocals is pretty lazy, and at times annoyingly distorted. Having said that, when it drops into the funky bass pattern and shiny, crystal clear snyths its a pretty pleasant club tune. Definitely worth a listen.

If you're a fan of the art of distortion and grinding, chopped up vocals though, give the We Are Terrorists take on 'Ironical Sexism' a listen. It's got a bit of a rock sound, although it's still comfortably electronic and pretty powerful. Not bad fighting music. It's the kind of track that makes you feel like you should be smashing stuff up and shouting along to the words like some kind of rave-crazed nutter.

And if that's too hardcore then I've also posted Citizen Cope's 'Sideways'. This song has literally picked me up and laid me quietly to rest every single night of the past week, mumbling softly along to the lyrics. Definitely highly recommended for anyone who hasn't already heard it. And thanks to Scrubs for alerting me to an old favourite.

Yelle - Ce Jeu (TEPR's Club Remix) Buy
Thieves Like Us - Drugs In My Body (Bang Gang Deejays Remix) Buy
Revolte - Ironical Sexism (We Are Terrorists Remix) Myspace
Citizen Cope - Sideways Buy

No comments: