Friday 29 May 2009

Summer's High Heights

That horse is well up for scuba diving.

French three-piece Pony Pony Run Run might also like scuba diving, but that is irrelevant. What is relevant is their happy summer sound, and their incredibly catchy new single 'Hey You' in particular. I can't really put my finger on exactly what it is about this track that makes me like it so much - it could be the nonsense lyrics, it could be the fairly straightforward dance-type beat, it could be the mellow, rising synths, it could be...
Well, all those things. I'll just say that it's the song as a whole that inspires me. Although it might also just be the way he says 'aaye you' on the chorus. Anyway, listen to it. And watch the video.

Before I started listening to 'Hey You', I spent most of the week listening to the new Classixx tune - 'I'll Get You' - which is pretty much certain to be one of the tracks of the summer. You can catch a preview of that here. Anyway, the amazingness of that particular song prompted a bit of Classixx searchmania, and I cropped up (amongst a lot of good stuff) with their remix of Shiny Toy Guns' 'Starts With One' (thanks to Ohh Crapp). The mix is pretty epic, and I especially like what they've done with the vocals - nice bit of mildly distorted reverb and some good cutting. Apart from that, the synth is huge and fuzzy and there are enough changes and chops to keep it interesting. Banging club tune.

Three words that I wouldn't shy away from applying to my last song.

Because Pilotpriest's remix of Lioness is also a banging club tune (see?), though it starts off in the guise of a smooth electro ballad. The first 4 minutes are super chilled, laced with shiny stabs and a funky bass riff, and the chilled softness of those minutes doesn't really prepare you for what happens after, when it gets all bangeriffic and intense. The last three minutes sound like a sudden'Waters of Nazareth' takeover, a kind of Boyz Noize meets Bag Raiders remix that is... uhh... bangeriffic and intense. Worth a listen.

The Weekend is here!

Pony Pony Run Run - Hey You Buy
Shiny Toy Guns - Starts With One (Classixx Remix) Buy
Lioness - You're My Heart (Pilotpriest Remix) Buy

1 comment:

Steve said...

Classic picture. LOL'd at my desk.

Good stuff Defensive Captain.